|Family||daughter of Cesaire and Suzette; half-sister of Lucie|
|Relationships||romance with Peter|
|Portrayed by||Amanda Seyfried|
Her village has a tradition of sacrificing their best livestock every full moon to appease the Wolf, who agreed to leave them alone if they did so. This agreement had been kept between the village and the wolf, for two generations. Until now. One day Valerie's sister is discovered to have been killed by the wolf near the outskirts of the village. Valerie soon realizes that she has a special connection to the wolf.
- Cesaire ((father) (deceased)
- Suzette (mother)
- Lucie (half-sister) (deceased)
- Henry Lazar (step-brother/former fiancee)
- Adrian Lazar (former father-in-law/step-father) (deceased)
- Peter (love interest; later husband)
Alice and Anna daughters () john and Jake sons
- Unnamed grandmother (grandmother) (deceased)
- Unnamed grandfather (paternal grandfather) (deceased)
- Unnamed great-great grandmother (great-great grandmother) (deceased)
- Valerie's name means "strong, brave and valiant" in French, German, Dutch, English and Scandinavian.
- It's revealed that in the book, she harbored jealousy of Solomon's Daughters because they were safe away from the village while she and the other villagers were remaining in great danger from the Wolf.